Day 297
I have to admit that as I write this, there's always a temptation to talk about what happened this morning, but I shouldn't do that as I'm writing about what happened on Day 297, which is yesterday. But I will throw in this tease, I've discovered a new routine this morning that I will share tomorrow. I'm a little excited about this as it simplifies my day and pretty much makes everything just a little more simple.
My run went fine. I've been meaning to write about the role of my legs in all of this. At 67 years old, I know that I'm treating my body right now as if it's 40 years ago and the part of my body that suffers the most is my legs. There are days during my run that my legs feel strong and I have no difficulty picking up the pace and then there are those days (the majority) where my legs feel like noodles wobbling along the path. I don't allow this to deter me, and I just keep moving on. At no time and knock on wood at this, have I had an injury though everything points to a potential hammy, or a knee joint pain...but thankfully, nothing. Just tired-ass legs.
Before this challenge, I remember so clearly sitting down in my chair in front of the TV and looking at legs thinking these things are massive tree trunks. There was not even a hint of muscle, just a solid mass of skin and fat. They came together a good six inches below my waist so that when I walked, they rubbed each other. No hyperbole here--it was truly embarrassing. Flash forward 297 days of exercise and diet. My legs are now lean and muscular, even I don't recognize them. As I returned from my swim today and was hanging up my suit and towel to dry, I thought how lucky I was to be at this point and how these ol' legs have been so good to me during all of this.
I can't help but wonder if it's because though I started out so obese, my penchant for trying to keep weight off and exercising off and on my entire adult life may have helped. That underneath that mass of blubber was some fine tuned though dormant leg muscle just waiting to awoken once again. So, I suppose today's blog is dedicated to my legs...long may they continue to serve me well and stay injury free.
My swim went well. Cindy decided to give out all the rent notices, so I lost that opportunity to get some more steps in, but I did go see a movie and walk around the mall a lot, so I still managed 15+ K steps for the day. I saw London Fields, a movie that was completely off the radar for me but was available on my Movie Pass and it had a lot of stars in it. Turns out it was a film noir artsy attempt that just didn't hit all the marks for me. I predicted the two twists in the story at its end, and that's not a good thing. It wasn't bad but I have to admit there were a couple of moments when I considered walking out but it was okay. Certainly, Amanda Heard was very good and worth the cost of the popcorn.
I did my swim after the movie and then came home, watched TV, played poker online with Terry and got in my sleep from 7 to 9 before the security check. I always have to wake myself up and feel a bit groggy, but overall, I like this fix to the only five hours of sleep pattern allowing me a couple more hours each night and fortunately, I'm not having any trouble falling back to sleep afterwards.
Food intake: omelet (200); crackers (240); chicken fingers (500); chicken nuggets (500); some tootsie roll snacks (400).
My run went fine. I've been meaning to write about the role of my legs in all of this. At 67 years old, I know that I'm treating my body right now as if it's 40 years ago and the part of my body that suffers the most is my legs. There are days during my run that my legs feel strong and I have no difficulty picking up the pace and then there are those days (the majority) where my legs feel like noodles wobbling along the path. I don't allow this to deter me, and I just keep moving on. At no time and knock on wood at this, have I had an injury though everything points to a potential hammy, or a knee joint pain...but thankfully, nothing. Just tired-ass legs.
Before this challenge, I remember so clearly sitting down in my chair in front of the TV and looking at legs thinking these things are massive tree trunks. There was not even a hint of muscle, just a solid mass of skin and fat. They came together a good six inches below my waist so that when I walked, they rubbed each other. No hyperbole here--it was truly embarrassing. Flash forward 297 days of exercise and diet. My legs are now lean and muscular, even I don't recognize them. As I returned from my swim today and was hanging up my suit and towel to dry, I thought how lucky I was to be at this point and how these ol' legs have been so good to me during all of this.
I can't help but wonder if it's because though I started out so obese, my penchant for trying to keep weight off and exercising off and on my entire adult life may have helped. That underneath that mass of blubber was some fine tuned though dormant leg muscle just waiting to awoken once again. So, I suppose today's blog is dedicated to my legs...long may they continue to serve me well and stay injury free.
My swim went well. Cindy decided to give out all the rent notices, so I lost that opportunity to get some more steps in, but I did go see a movie and walk around the mall a lot, so I still managed 15+ K steps for the day. I saw London Fields, a movie that was completely off the radar for me but was available on my Movie Pass and it had a lot of stars in it. Turns out it was a film noir artsy attempt that just didn't hit all the marks for me. I predicted the two twists in the story at its end, and that's not a good thing. It wasn't bad but I have to admit there were a couple of moments when I considered walking out but it was okay. Certainly, Amanda Heard was very good and worth the cost of the popcorn.
I did my swim after the movie and then came home, watched TV, played poker online with Terry and got in my sleep from 7 to 9 before the security check. I always have to wake myself up and feel a bit groggy, but overall, I like this fix to the only five hours of sleep pattern allowing me a couple more hours each night and fortunately, I'm not having any trouble falling back to sleep afterwards.
Food intake: omelet (200); crackers (240); chicken fingers (500); chicken nuggets (500); some tootsie roll snacks (400).
Comments
Post a Comment