Day 192


7-11-18  (Wednesday)


Though I went to bed at around 8 PM needing some sleep from getting up so early, I found myself waking up every two hours for whatever reason.  I don’t know if it was the mattress or just not being used to sleeping somewhere not my home…it has been a while since I’ve been on a vacation.  At 5 AM, I got up and did a short jog through the Fremont Experience and down to the Canister Shops and back.  I didn’t jog my usual time because I knew that I would be walking pretty much all day, so getting to my daily goal of six miles would not be an issue.  This is how I will likely do my exercise all week…jog early before the sun comes up and then walk, walk, walk.

I showered and headed over to Sam’s Town to slide my card.  I got the lowest 10x and 6x.  I had a veggie omelet at the buffet and then decided I was going to full pay deuces for a hundred, double or nothing.  I was 2300 points away from renewing my Sapphire status so I was hoping to get at least 1000 points.  I hit deuces last night twice on the 8/5 BP, so perhaps this will repeat.  It did not.  I did manage a couple 5-of-a-kinds and a slew of straight flushes but only one deuce Royal.  I did play for a good hour and a half and was holding my own.  I went over the 1100 point mark and I was down $50, so I called it. 

I headed to the airport to pick up Terry and Louise.  Their flight was on time and we headed back downtown where they’d keep their bags in my room until it was a better time to check in at Golden Gate.  We had the daily special (pepper steak) at the California café, which was excellent.
We walked over to Main Street Station to play at the bar so I could finish up my points needed.  We first began playing NSUD at the machines on the floor left of the bar.  I lost $30 almost immediately and then Louise’s machine broke.  We moved to bar.  I went to slide my card for their YAH and again 10x and 6x, but I also got a play $40 get $20 ticket, which I used…that was an expected perk.  Terry didn’t get that, not sure why.

The three of us played for a really long time.  I played 1350 points putting me over what I needed but I quit $50 down AGAIN—not liking this pattern.  When will I get a VP winning session?  This puts me down $250 for the trip…nothing serious, but I’m due for a win.  I should also mention that while play the 9/6 Jacks, I hit quad deuces AND quad Aces.  WTF?

We finally headed back to the room where they picked up their bags and headed to the Golden Gate.  I stayed in my room for a little while.  Terry called around 4 and I met him and Louise at the Golden Gate and we played blackjack for the next two and a half hours.  They fluctuate their bets depending on hunch and consecutive wins; I play $5 every single time regardless and take advantage to double ups when the occasion arises.  I don’t know what it is about blackjack here for me, but I’ve always come out ahead here with this basic of basic strategies.  This time was no exception.  I end up $22 ahead, Terry won $196, and Louise was the big winner with $226.   Considering the assorted tips we all gave, this was a very good session for a $5 game.

We went to Magnolias to have dinner as I had $37 in comps and don’t plan on playing at the 4 Queens any longer and wanted to use them up.  I had the gumbo and a salad and they split a large salad and a club sandwich.  The food was terrific (they recently revamped their menu).  We went back to Golden Gate to check out the new area that was added from the old café used to be located.  As advertised, it’s just new slots, HOWEVER, there are six new VP standup machines with the same 8/5 progressives that are at the bar at the D.  The royal was over $12K, the straight flush over $130, and four of a kinds over $36.  We sat down and played for a good hour or so.  I hit a few quads and after going back down to my original $100, I quit and decided to go to bed leaving Terry and Louise at the machines.  They were both doing well. 

I made a quick stop at the Fremont to check my points and sure enough I was 204 points short of the 25K…for the life of me I don’t know how that’s possible but so be it.  I went to the machines that now have short pay Pick a Pair and played NSUD.  I managed a couple of wild royals and finally made the points and cashed out a nifty little $25 profit.  It was now after 9PM, so I headed back to my room.

It turned out to be another losing day, but only about $60 or so.   

I did manage 14 K steps for the day.

Food intake: veggie omelet and scrambled eggs with potatoes (500); pepper steak and veggies (700); gumbo soup and Caesars salad (800).  Definitely over my daily limit, but nothing serious and I can make it up after my trip.

Comments