Day 2

Each post will be to report what happened yesterday and how successful the challenge went or if there were any setbacks.

I walked just over 5200 steps.  My goal will be at least 10K per day but I know that I have to do this slowly and gradually.  I expect to be at my goal within two months.  I do feel it in my calves.  I have to pay special attention to not hurt myself so this means a pace that will bring my shins and feet into fitness eventually. 

I found that walking to my neighborhood park and back is 2700 steps and walking the perimeter and each street of my trailer park is 2100 steps, good information to know if I'm close to my goal on any given day. 

I will be going back to the gym sometime this week and then make it a regular part of my routine, but again, I have to take this carefully.  My "frozen arm" still becomes stiff at times even though the injury took place a year and half ago.  According to what I've read, it's a process that could take as long as three years.

Food intake.  I had fruit in the morning and salad in the afternoon with chicken.  Note that every time I have chicken in the menu, assume it's the boneless, skinless variety unless I write differently.  This will be my key protein during this diet.  Unlike other people, I have NO problem with eating the same thing every single day.  If it's something I like, repetition is just fine with me. The two chicken breasts are about 350 calories and the salad dressing (Lite) is about 100, possibly 200.  The vegetables and fruit are very few. 

Today is trash day.  This is good exercise for me and I will learn today about how many steps I take when I do it.  I help our park maintenance man pick up all the trash in the park and I drive the Bob Cat that holds the dumpsters.  We can't officially start until 8 AM, so we take our golf carts and pick up cardboard boxes and bags from the streets until that time.  This has shaved off a lot of our time to get the job done.  While it used to take until 11 AM, we know usually finish an hour and a hour or so before that.   Every Tuesday is trash day and I've been lucky so far to not have had to do it during a rainstorm...I'm hoping that day won't come...though I know it certainly will.

I finished one of my book club's books (we're doing two this time being that we didn't meet last week--I explain book club later), Glass Houses by Louise Penny.  I enjoyed it but it was difficult keeping all the characters straight and who was who.  However, it was a well-constructed mystery.  Now I'm reading The Origin, by Dan Brown.  This book is my selection, which means I run the discussion, so I'll need to take more specific notes and some outside research.  Book Club meets this Saturday, so I'm going to have to make my reading a priority the rest of this week.

I used to always eat crackers along with my coffee in the morning.  I love to continue that routine but I discovered that just one package of the crackers are over 500 calories and have 0 nutritional value, so I'm now going to eat a banana each morning.  I have to eat something when I drink my morning coffee.  I will also finish the fruit for my breakfast.  Though I am not going to count my calories rigidly, I am expecting to keep my calorie intake in the area of 1500 calories per day.  For an almost 300 pound male, this will be task; however, I have done it before. 

My snack of choice, which already hit me last night when I knew I had to eat something, are tangerines, which I've bought a bag.  Shopping will now be a larger part of my week.  I will need to go to the store about three times per week.  Yesterday, I went through my refrigerator and cupboards and threw away everything that is not on my diet.  I threw away eggs, cereal, chocolate sauce, canned whipped cream, and anything else.  I will stock only those things that I can eat freely.  Vegetables, fruits, and low calorie sauces.  As odd as it sounds, I will gladly trade a substantial food for a tasty sauce.  If I'm going to eat mainly vegetables and skinless chicken for the next year, I'm damn well going to make it tasty.  It's going to be important that the fruit be as fresh as possible, so this means more trips to the store and a higher monthly bill allowance, however, that's debatable. 

On to trash day.


Comments