Day 1
As so it begins.
I don't expect anyone to read these posts. They're nothing special. They will act as a tool for me to get my weight back to where it needs to be. At 66 years old, I cannot continue at the rate I'm going. If I don't lose this girth, I will likely be dead within 5 years.
By writing down my activities each day along with my food intake, I hope to place the discipline into my head that I stick to this.
This morning, January 1, 2018, I weight 297.4 pounds, almost 100 pounds overweight for a six foot man. In the next year, I hope to lose most of that weight. I will do it the old fashion way, with diet and exercise. There will be no trendy diets or drinks. I expect to eat mostly vegetables and fruits. I will stop eating starches, breads, butter, and sugar.
There will be a caveat: One day a week, I go to my parents for dinner. This is a tradition that goes back 40 years. One evening a week, they make dinner for me. It's the only time they make a full sit down dinner. I will eat whatever they prepare out of respect, but I will limit my portions and avoid desserts.
I have done and succeeded at this before; however, I have never lasted a full year. This will be that test. I am not going to tell anyone about this blog, it is only for my needs and though there may be an outside change someone might read these words, there is no doubt in my mind, they'll find it boring and move on.
Along with my daily updates, I will also write about whatever is on my mind be it political, social, or just about anything that has my attention this day. As I write this, I have to wonder just how honest I can be or will be. I hope to write about my innermost thoughts, but even some of those, I fear, I can not express in writing. It is a problem I have, and have always had--sharing my truths, committing myself to others, and believing many of our long shared values such as marriage, religion, and social order.
I will, no doubt ramble. But after more than 65 years on this earth, I have to share myself, even if it's with no other than the words on these pages.
Without question, there is going to be pain and temptation. As I've said before, I've done this before. I've had success before. However, there's always been something that sent me back into the cycle of self-destructive eating habits. The past two years, I have managed to lost a lot of weight thanks to diet and playing racquetball and pickleball along with my daily 10K steps. But then I hurt my arm with something called "frozen shoulder" playing racquetball one day. It was for the first time in my life an injury where pain NEVER went away, 24/7. I had never experienced anything like it in my life. I couldn't do anything without pain, even walking hurt my shoulder as it swung back in forth. I was limited now to resting in a position that caused the least hurting...and I ate...and ate. Sometimes the comfort of food helped, or seemed to. And sure enough, the weight returned. Now it was back to the old cycle of eating.
I do know this about me. I am the poster boy for yo-yo(ing) my weight my entire life. This past time, I had thrown away all my fat clothes in the hopes that would prevent from gaining weight. That idea was folly. I am embarrassed and ashamed of myself. I can not look at myself in mirrors. I look away when I walk past stores with large pain windows that show my reflection.
However I do believe the cliche, the only person who loses is the person who quits. And so, I will begin once again starting today, this the first day of my journey to respect for myself.
I don't expect anyone to read these posts. They're nothing special. They will act as a tool for me to get my weight back to where it needs to be. At 66 years old, I cannot continue at the rate I'm going. If I don't lose this girth, I will likely be dead within 5 years.
By writing down my activities each day along with my food intake, I hope to place the discipline into my head that I stick to this.
This morning, January 1, 2018, I weight 297.4 pounds, almost 100 pounds overweight for a six foot man. In the next year, I hope to lose most of that weight. I will do it the old fashion way, with diet and exercise. There will be no trendy diets or drinks. I expect to eat mostly vegetables and fruits. I will stop eating starches, breads, butter, and sugar.
There will be a caveat: One day a week, I go to my parents for dinner. This is a tradition that goes back 40 years. One evening a week, they make dinner for me. It's the only time they make a full sit down dinner. I will eat whatever they prepare out of respect, but I will limit my portions and avoid desserts.
I have done and succeeded at this before; however, I have never lasted a full year. This will be that test. I am not going to tell anyone about this blog, it is only for my needs and though there may be an outside change someone might read these words, there is no doubt in my mind, they'll find it boring and move on.
Along with my daily updates, I will also write about whatever is on my mind be it political, social, or just about anything that has my attention this day. As I write this, I have to wonder just how honest I can be or will be. I hope to write about my innermost thoughts, but even some of those, I fear, I can not express in writing. It is a problem I have, and have always had--sharing my truths, committing myself to others, and believing many of our long shared values such as marriage, religion, and social order.
I will, no doubt ramble. But after more than 65 years on this earth, I have to share myself, even if it's with no other than the words on these pages.
Without question, there is going to be pain and temptation. As I've said before, I've done this before. I've had success before. However, there's always been something that sent me back into the cycle of self-destructive eating habits. The past two years, I have managed to lost a lot of weight thanks to diet and playing racquetball and pickleball along with my daily 10K steps. But then I hurt my arm with something called "frozen shoulder" playing racquetball one day. It was for the first time in my life an injury where pain NEVER went away, 24/7. I had never experienced anything like it in my life. I couldn't do anything without pain, even walking hurt my shoulder as it swung back in forth. I was limited now to resting in a position that caused the least hurting...and I ate...and ate. Sometimes the comfort of food helped, or seemed to. And sure enough, the weight returned. Now it was back to the old cycle of eating.
I do know this about me. I am the poster boy for yo-yo(ing) my weight my entire life. This past time, I had thrown away all my fat clothes in the hopes that would prevent from gaining weight. That idea was folly. I am embarrassed and ashamed of myself. I can not look at myself in mirrors. I look away when I walk past stores with large pain windows that show my reflection.
However I do believe the cliche, the only person who loses is the person who quits. And so, I will begin once again starting today, this the first day of my journey to respect for myself.
Comments
Post a Comment